Saturday, September 11, 2010

Elephants, mud and plenty of sweat!

I would like to break my blogging seal and start with my recent trip to Chiang Mai.  I have been on plenty of holidays, but this time I did something I've always wanted to do. Half of my trip was volunteering and after scouring the net for ideas I came across this little gem - http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/

An organisation set up by a local, the incredible Lek, dedicated to rescuing Thailand's national treasure - the elephant.  Set on acres of land with an in built river, this haven is home not only to 30+ elephants, but also dogs (our pack happily adopted us for the week, following us when we did our chores and joining us for meals), buffalo, cats, pigs and anything else of the animal kind that can be helped.  I won't lie, that week was hard work, especially since I'm normally sitting at a desk behind a computer, but it was a experience I will never forget and cherish. 

It definitely made me think twice as to what sort of sightseeing and touring I do in the future.  Elephants are not made to have any sort of hard weight on there backs and the treatment to these poor elephants are horrific.  If you ever get to Chiang Mai, I would recommend it, even if its only the day trip, your money goes to an extremely good cause.  Elephants can even be adopted and donations made on the website. 

Chiang Mai as a city has a lot to offer and the only thing from making it a perfect destination in Asia, is the fact there is no beaches.  The second biggest city in Thailand, there are plenty of modern and traditional influences.  The night and local markets are very cheap and for a mere $1.00AUD you can enjoy a large plate of, the best I have had, Char kway teow noodles (fat rice stick noodles). 

Everything is cheaper at the local, day market, if you're prepared for an overwhelming maze of stalls and stall holders who speak little english, but the Saturday night market for gifts cant be beat.  I even managed to find 2 vintage shops both located next door to each other on 58/2 Inthawaroro, a bit tricky to find, but worthwhile, and if you turn right from there 2 more quirky vintage shops.  I ended my trip in luxury (seeing as I roughed it for most of the trip) at The Chedi, a hotel where I have no complaints.  The service was impeccable and they couldn't do enough to help me!

Golden Triangle
Night Market
Spider found in the field while planting and weeding
Elephant greeting
our adopted dogs outside our room
Bathing the elephants in the river
The Chedi
NomNomNom

No comments:

Post a Comment